Cheesy Ham and Potato Soup

Cheesy Ham and Potato Soup 


I must say I am starting to like this whole staycation thing!!!  Day 2, round 2...in the kitchen!!  Boy can I just say....how good it feels to be back in the kitchen!!!  It really has been a while, and I didn't realize how much I missed it!!    

I have no idea what is up with me and the soup, but I LIKE IT!!  Today I decided to go with a lightened up favorite...potato soup!  I figured what better choice, since I had some left over produce from Thanksgiving that needed used up!  Give it a try and let me know what you think!

Ingredients: 
1 3/4 c organic chicken bone broth
1 cup peeled and diced potatoes
1/2 cup finely shredded carrots
1/4 cup finely chopped onions
1/4 cup finely chopped celery
1 cup ham, or more if desired
1 3/4 cups evaporated skim milk
3 Tbsp cornstarch
1/2 c (2 ounces) finely shredded fat free cheddar cheese
1/2 c (2 ounces) finely shredded reduced fat sharp cheddar cheese

  • In a medium saucepan, combine the broth, potatoes, carrots, celery, onion and ham.
  • Bring to a boil, then reduce heat.  
  • Cover and simmer for about 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
  • Using the back of a fork, slightly mash the potatoes against the side of the saucepan .
  • Combine cornstarch and 1/4 cup of milk until smooth.  Then stir the cornstarch mixture into the broth mixture.  Add the remaining 1 1/2 cups of milk.  
  • Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly, then cook and stir 1 minute more.
  • Slowly stir in the cheese.  Cook and stir until just melted.
       This recipe makes 4 main dish servings. Hope you enjoy as much as we did!!  
        I will be posting my bread recipe tomorrow so sign up for email updates or check back!!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Creating a Fairy Night Light

Grandma's Tomato Sauce